There are so many reasons to stay in one of the 10 best hostels in La Union! Are you looking to learn to surf cheaper than anywhere else in the world? Then La Union is the best place to go! Not only is it a great place for beginners, but between November and March, there are waves for advanced surfers too! It’s not all about surfing though, there are also the pretty Tangadan Falls just a hop, skip, and a jump away!
To get the best experience of La Union, you’ll need to pick the perfect place to stay. Skip the hotels and resorts and stay in a hostel. It’ll save you plenty of money which you can put towards surfing lessons and tasty Filipino street food! And, you’ll meet fellow travellers and experience a fun and friendly atmosphere.
With all that in mind, we’ve put together a list of the 10 best hostels in La Union. It’ll help you plan your trip according to your travel style, personality, but most importantly – budget!
Quick Answer – Best Hostels in La Union
- Overall Best Hostel in La Union – Lokal Home
- Best Hostels for Solo Travellers in La Union – KLPW 2514 Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in La Union – The Circle Hostel La Union
- Best Hostel for Couples in La Union – Natures Healing Home
- Best Party Hostel in La Union – Camp Avenue La Union
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in La Union – Affordable La Union
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in La Union – The Escape San Juan
Best Hostels in La Union
Overall Best Hostel in La Union – Lokal Home
- BBQ facilities
- Book exchange
- Security Lockers
Let’s kick off our list of the best hostels in La Union with a property that has something for everyone! The traditional kubo huts come as one of the highest recommended hostels in La Union according to Hostelworld reviews.
There may not be aircon here, but the roof is made of a natural material which will keep you cool – and it’s more environmentally friendly. When you’re out exploring the island, leave your stuff in the security lockers. You can rest assured they’ll be safe there.
Best Hostels for Solo Travellers in La Union – KLPW 2514 Hostel
- Free breakfast
- Security Lockers
- Quiet and tranquil
This isn’t just one of the coolest hostels in La Union, it’s a huttel – a hostel made of huts! Fuel up before a day of exploring, sightseeing, or surfing with the awesome free breakfast.
This isn’t the sort of hostel to expect a wild party, but it does have chilled out and relaxed vibes. It’s very clean too, so you can be assured of a comfortable and relaxing stay. And once again, it’s got security lockers. So, if you’re travelling as a digital nomad you can keep your laptop safe!
Best Cheap Hostel in La Union – The Circle Hostel La Union
- Outdoor Terrace
- Bicycle Parking
- Free Breakfast
Looking for a budget hostel in La Union? Look no further than The Circle Hostel. It’s one of the lowest prices you’ll find in town, but you don’t have to compromise on quality! There are plenty of facilities that you can enjoy while you stay.
Kick off your day with a tasty free breakfast, before exploring La Union or chilling in the hostel. You can take advantage of the outdoor terrace or the shaded hammocks to chillax. Keep your costs down by preparing your meals here with the self-catering facilities!
Best Hostel for Couples in La Union – Natures Healing Home
- Yoga Studio
- On-site restaurant
- Free parking
If you’re travelling with your other half, a sweaty, smelly, and noisy dorm just won’t do. So why not sweep them off their feet with a lovely place like Natures Healing Home? It’s a little outside the surfing town of San Juan – a 35 minute drive.
But being away from the hustle and bustle might just be what you need to get a little privacy and really enjoy each other’s company! There’s an on-site restaurant and a yoga studio, so you certainly won’t be bored during your stay. And free parking means it’s a whole lot easier to rent a car to get around.
Best Party Hostel in La Union – Camp Avenue La Union
- Beach parties
- Surfing lessons
- Bar on site
In somewhere as hot as the Phillippines, it’s not even like you need a roof to keep you warm at night – here, you can camp with either a tent or a private room.
It’s got the vibe of one of the coolest hostels in La Union, with an awesome bar and restaurant on site. Start your evening with Filipino street food to kick off your evening, then depending on what’s on, you could be enjoying cocktails at the bar or even a beach party.
If you’re not too hungover the next day, why not sort out a surf lesson too?
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in La Union – Affordable La Union
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Laptop friendly workspace
- Shared Lounge
You got us – this isn’t actually a La Union hostel. But when you’re working as a digital nomad, you can afford to splash out a little extra – as long as the place you’re going has a laptop-friendly workspace and Wi-Fi of course!
This has both of those with a fully equipped kitchen to boot. If you do get a bit bored a lonely with just your own company, there’s a shared lounge where you can go to work or just chill in the evening!
Best Hostel with a Private Room in La Union – The Escape San Juan
- Private dorms with en-suites
- Right on the beach
- Laid back atmosphere
If you’re looking for the best hostel in La Union with a private room, you sure found it here. A range of private rooms from four to twelve beds means that no matter how many family members are travelling or how big your group is, you won’t have to share a dorm with strangers!
There’s plenty to keep you entertained on-site too, including a pool table and some of the best sunset views in the Phillippines!
More Great Hostels in La Union
- Free breakfast
- Private Parking
- Outdoor Terrace
Just because it’s not in a category above doesn’t mean Rada Hostel isn’t one of the best hostels in La Union!
The comfy dorms here can sleep up to four, a much more comfortable number than ten or twelve. Throughout this La Union hostel, there are Wi-Fi and complimentary drinking stations making your stay a comfy one. In the morning, take advantage of a free à la carte breakfast!
- Private Beach Area
- Bike Hire available
- Billiards at the guest house
As well as the top hostels in La Union, let’s check out some awesome guest houses too. You won’t get a dorm here, but there are double and family rooms. So, it’s ideal for a couple or a family on a budget!
There’s private parking at an extra charge, but it’ll be worth paying it to know your vehicle is safe. Especially when you take the guest house’s bikes out to explore the island! Unwind in the evenings with a game of billiards or simply just chill out on the private beach!
- Private Bathroom
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Seating area
Last but not least on our list of the best hostels in La Union is another charming guest house. These are more like fully equipped apartments that can sleep up to five guests, and they’re great for families as they’ve got bunk beds!
There’s also a seating area where you can play cards or board games if you’ve brought them with you. The best spot though is out on the terrace! The price may seem a little more expensive, but remember it’s per room – not per person!
What to Pack for your La Union Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. TRTL Travel Pillow: Long flights and bus rides are quite uncomfortable (most obvious statement of the day). Most travel pillows… Well, you know how they are. TRTL travel pillow is different. I mean, look at it! It’ll cuddle you to sleep every ride and it does a pretty damn good job of supporting your neck so you don’t get that stiffness or legendary popping when you stir.
2. Active Roots Water Bottle: Hostels are increasingly meeting backpackers’ demands for potable (drinkable) water. Now is better than ever to start traveling with a reusable water bottle! Aside from cutting down single-use plastic, The Active Roots stainless steel water bottle will also keep your favorite beverage hot or cold all day long and it’s sized perfectly to fit an entire bottle of wine. ‘Nuff said.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
5. Power Bank: Everyone knows the mini heart attack when your phone is about to run out of power. Surviving long bus rides without charging stations can be agonizing, which is why every backpacker should have this Anker Power Bank. You can charge your phone up to 5 times, or plug in two devices simultaneously. With high-speed charging and enough power to keep you going for days, you can conquer even the biggest adventures without a problem.
6. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
Final Thoughts on the Best Hostels in La Union
So, that’s all from our list of the best hostels in La Union. We hope you’ve found something that you like! Whether you want to stay in a party hostel on the beach, a romantic double with your other half, or make lots of friends in a cool common room, there’s a hostel in La Union for you!
We just hope you haven’t been given too much choice. If that’s the case, just head back to the top of our page and book our favourite hostel in La Union. That’s Lokal Union! It’s the best combination of a chilled out atmosphere, a great location, and most importantly – value for money!
Now that we’ve helped you plan out your trip to La Union a bit better, all that’s left is for us to wish you a great vacation in the Phillippines! We hope you have a great time!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site and will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.